grouper-users - [grouper-users] ldap source vs jdbc source

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

[grouper-users] ldap source vs jdbc source

  • From: Lynn Garrison <>
  • To:
  • Subject: [grouper-users] ldap source vs jdbc source
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:01:36 -0500

Our test environment at Penn State is configure with an ldap source;
oracle for the gsa. We recently executed a test load with our largest group
- ~32k faculty/staff members. We loaded all the members to grouper and then
provisioned them to lpad using ldappcng. We executed the test several times.

The load into grouper executed in 15 to 18 minutes.
The provision to ldap with ldappcng executed in 45 to 50 minutes.

We are using the source api and ldappcng version 1.6.3.
Questions:

1. Are these reasonable times?
2. Would we see an improvement in the ldappcng execution time if we
were using a jdbc source?

We are looking at replacing the current mechanism for managing groups
- 66000+ groups, ~32k members in the largest group. One of the requirements
is that all groups be provision to ldap and available for use as soon as they
are created.