grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Query on Naming Conflicts - Grouper, ldappcng, AD

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Query on Naming Conflicts - Grouper, ldappcng, AD

  • From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: "Mailvaganam, Hari" <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Query on Naming Conflicts - Grouper, ldappcng, AD
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 10:24:19 -0800 (PST)

At UW we put group names into sAMAccountName of our campus-wide AD, hence had to create a group name space that is non-conflicting with our general username space, and also conforms to restrictions in sAMAccountName syntax. This led us to these designs:

https://wiki.cac.washington.edu/display/infra/UW+NetID+Namespace

which carves out subspaces of the greater NetID namespace for various purposes including groups.

https://wiki.cac.washington.edu/display/groups/UW+Group+Naming+Plan

Note that among other things sAMAccountNames can't have ":" in them. So we are obliged to work around the hard-coding of ":" as group-id
delimiter in Grouper by translating it to "_" in every external view, including our Groups Service UI.

See here for user documentation:

http://www.washington.edu/itconnect/security/uwgroups.html

- RL "Bob"