grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To:
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 07:49:55 -0500

From your exchange with Chris, it sounds like you'll be able to use hooks to add-on a good gid management capability to grouper. I bet you're right that some other sites would find that valuable. When you're ready, would you care to package it up and make it available in the contrib area of the grouper wiki? We don't currently have an area for Freie Universität Berlin, but that can quickly be corrected!

Thanks,
Tom

Dr. Loris Bennett wrote:
Hi Tom,

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 14:12 -0500, Tom Barton wrote:
Loris,

Would grouper be the "system of record" for gid's, or would those come from an external, authoritative source or sources? I guess I'm asking if you want grouper to replace the group-map functionality of yellow pages/NetInfo/NIS[+], or if you just need it to convey a replica of that map.

On the one hand, our first customer "just wants to have" his existing
GIDs in the LDAP tree provisioned by Grouper. On the other we thought it
might be of general use if groups could be given a university-wide Unix
GID. Thus, Grouper would indeed be the system of record for GIDs and
system could use the provisioned LDAP tree as a NIS-replacement, if
needed.

Loris

Tom

Dr. Loris Bennett wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to introduce unix-like group IDs for some groups within
grouper. Currently I have:

- A custom type with a group ID as an attribute
- A database sequence for the IDs
- A hook which inserts an ID from the sequence when a group is created
with the corresponding custom type.

What I still need are:

- A mechanism to ensure that an ID is not used more than once (e.g. some
sort of DB constraint on the attribute value)
- A mechanism to prevent the ID being changed (probably just setting the
write privilege accordingly)
- Perhaps a view of display names and group IDs

Since it seems to me that this is a rather general feature that others
might require, I was wondering whether:

a) anyone has already done this
b) whether, should there be interest, such a feature could be packaged
as an add-on for grouper

Thoughts?

Loris