grouper-users - RE: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

RE: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

  • From: "Dr. Loris Bennett" <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:52:55 +0000

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 11:05 -0400, Chris Hyzer wrote:
> Did we discuss this earlier when getting your hooks to work? I forget.

I think we did, but I am still stubbornly pursuing Unix-like GIDs ;-)

> IDs which are more friendly than UUIDs are nice to have, but there
> are issues when:
>
> 1. Sequences might get out of sync e.g. due to imports or db
> migrations, and start colliding with existing assignments

This is why I thought a uniqueness constraint on the attribute 'gid' in
the grouper_attributes table would be needed.

> 2. Imports in general, colliding with existing values. Do you change
> the new one? Break existing references?

As far as the general problem of imports goes, only the first customer
will get to reuse existing GIDs - everyone after that will get new GIDs
and have to sort out their own mapping.

> 3. Now you need an env qualifier to know you are referring to the right
> group: prod_123, or test_234

The customer is the only party using the GID and will only ever be
drawing information from the production system, so I wasn't planning on
differentiating here. Am I missing something?

> That is why Grouper would like to avoid that issue by using UUIDs for
> groups. Just curious, why dont the existing UUIDs work for you?

This is basically a legacy issue due to existing systems handling
permissions based on membership of Unix groups. Our initial customer is
a department with around 300 Unix groups, which are maintained using
regular Unix means. This customer wants to be able to relate the groups
that we provision to LDAP to the existing Unix groups which determine
permissions on the target systems. In other cases we assume that
customers will extract the membership information directly from LDAP.

Does this make sense? Or should I be taking a completely different
approach?

Cheers,

Loris