grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: , Grouper Users Mailing List <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Unix-like Group IDs?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:31:21 +0000

Hi Loris,

Comments below.

Gary

--On 10 March 2009 08:54 +0000 "Dr. Loris Bennett" <> wrote:

Hi,

I am planning to introduce unix-like group IDs for some groups within
grouper. Currently I have:

- A custom type with a group ID as an attribute
- A database sequence for the IDs
- A hook which inserts an ID from the sequence when a group is created
with the corresponding custom type.

What I still need are:

- A mechanism to ensure that an ID is not used more than once (e.g. some
sort of DB constraint on the attribute value)
- A mechanism to prevent the ID being changed (probably just setting the
write privilege accordingly)
I imagine this should be done by hooks. Perhaps the GroupAttributeNameValidationHook could have a pluggable mechanism where regex is just one of the options

- Perhaps a view of display names and group IDs
Would you want the unix id to always be shown when the group is or in some specific context?

The way group names are displayed isn't as tidy as it could/should be, but is something that could be improved

Since it seems to me that this is a rather general feature that others
might require, I was wondering whether:

a) anyone has already done this
I'm sure others intend to use groups similarly but I don't know if they have hooks to implement the constraints
b) whether, should there be interest, such a feature could be packaged
as an add-on for grouper

Thoughts?
I think that would be a good idea as it should be a common requirement. The means of obtaining a new id should be abstract so sites can implement their own mechanism.

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
Freie Universität Berlin

Web www.zedat.fu-berlin.de

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing