grouper-users - Re: [grouper-users] Re: [grouper-dev] more trouble with quickstart

Subject: Grouper Users - Open Discussion List

Re: [grouper-users] Re: [grouper-dev] more trouble with quickstart

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-users] Re: [grouper-dev] more trouble with quickstart
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:57:42 -0500

Acch! One correction + one amplification below. -Tom

Tom Barton wrote:
I'm switching this over to grouper-users...

RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:

So, I'm trying to use qs, which is configured to use hsqldb. It appears to me that hsqldb isn't running (nothing is on port 9001). The qs document has a section entitled "Starting HSQLDB" which doesn't appear to me to say anything about starting it, just configuring it. Am I supposed to do some manual step to start hsqldb?

Yup. You need to run something like

java -cp <location of hsqldb.jar> \
org.hsqldb.Server \
-database.0 <location of grouper database> \
-dbname.0 grouper \
-user sa

That will put up a server on port 9001 offering a database named 'grouper'. Assuming that before long you'll also run signet, with this approach you can simply expand that command to something like

java -cp <location of hsqldb.jar> \
org.hsqldb.Server \
-database.0 <location of grouper database> \
-dbname.0 grouper \
-database.1 <location of signet database> \
-dbname.1 signet \
-user sa

So, your jdbc urls will look like

jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost/grouper

and

jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost/signet

(presuming localhost, of course). Note that <location of grouper database> is the pathname of the .script file, exclusive of '.script'. So, if you've got a database in '/opt/registries/grouper-demo.script', put '/opt/registries/grouper-demo' as the -dbname.0 parameter value.

Correction: make that the 'database.0' parameter value.

Amplification: you'll also want to be able to shut the hsqldb server down gracefully. One way to do so is to fire up a database manager, connect to the database, and issue the shutdown command. To start up a dbm manager run something like

java -cp '<path to hsqldb.jar>' \
org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManagerSwing \
-driver org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver

Tom