grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 7-July-2010

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 7-July-2010

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Action Items: Grouper Call 7-July-2010
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:19:15 +0100

--On 07 July 2010 15:01 -0400 Emily Eisbruch

[AI] (Rob) will ask (Gary) to look at the Fluid project to learn more
about accessibility of UIs
I just did a bit of searching around and came up with <http://www.webaim.org/techniques/ajax/> which links to <http://webaim.org/techniques/aria/>. ARIA (Accessibility of Rich Internet Applications) is a W3C initiative which modern browsers / screen readers should understand - effectively additional attributes for HTML elements. The Fluid project is clearly aiming to be ARIA compliant though difficult to judge how completely it complies just now. There is a JQuery plugin for ARIA: <http://www.outstandingelephant.com/jaria/> and various widgets which claim to be ARIA compliant.

Going forward it would seem to make sense to piggy back on the efforts of others i.e. use an AJAX framework which supports ARIA and where possible use existing compliant widgets rather than create our own. JQuery and Fluid may be good options - used in uPortal, but there are alternatives.

Ultimately we can try to be accessible, but without feedback from individuals who depend on the accessibility features it is difficult to know how successful we have been.

Gary

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing