grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] ESB connector

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] ESB connector

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Rob Hebron <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] ESB connector
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 11:20:32 -0500

We have a way to go from bean to json in GrouperUtil:

/**
* convert an object to json.
* @param object
* @return the string of json
*/
public static String jsonConvertTo(Object object) {

I originally tried gson, but there was some problem that json-lib solved,
forget what it was. Can we use that instead of gson?
If I remember correctly the bean one to manies need to be arrays instead of
collections so that reflection can work well.

Also, if you can put in an indenting switch, it might help with debugging,
this will indent the json: GrouperUtil.indent(String string, boolean
failIfTypeNotFound);

In doing this for web services, I have learned that making new simple beans
for the transfer helps a lot to separate the concerns.

Are you saying the message is json, then gets converted to XML? Can we just
send the new simple bean and the converter can convert to json or xml or
something else? I would think that might be more convenient / efficient.

If you want to filter on javabeans, I have had good success with expression
language, we use jexl

We use xstream to convert javabean to xml, which works well when the format
isn't specified. I have used xml-beans to map to arbitrary xml format, and
it works fine. I tried to look for a doc/link to see which is better castor
or xmlbeans, and I cant find one. Do you have one? Do you need to map to an
arbitrary format or specify it?