grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>, Chris Hyzer <>,
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:07:49 -0600

> GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
>>
>> --On 21 January 2010 09:28 -0600 Tom Barton
>> <>
>> wrote:

>>> Understood. It's just that my sanity-checker fires up when I see us
>>> mapping structured data into comments.
>>>
>>> Gary, who were you anticipating would use those comments, humans or
>>> automatons?
>>
>> My first concern is being able to understand/troubleshoot the data without
>> having to lookup all those uuids. Comments would not be very friendly for
>> machine parsing but we are only expecting Grouper to parse the file and it
>> doesn't need the data here.
>>
>> I would suggest that we go with comments for now and wait and see if
>> anyone requests additional attributes / tags.
>
> I have no problem with this.
>
> Tom

Could the comments be written as valid xml nodes, rather than <!--
-->, so that the same parser used to read the machine data could read
the comments as well ? I'm thinking that's easy enough to do in code
and may be easier for folks to read using tools other than their eyes.
I do realize we don't want to encourage using those comments for
"real" things, though.

TomZ