grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] RE: xml export/import v1.6
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:40:09 +0000

--On 21 January 2010 09:28 -0600 Tom Barton

Chris Hyzer wrote:
Alternatively, would it make sense to include an attribute of
uuid-bearing child elements that contain the name of the object being
referenced? Eg,

Well, if it were easy, I might say yes. But I didn't want to mess
with the default Xstream serialization. Plus, I also didn't want
people to rely on this either i.e. start using it for something,
since the xml export isn't for provisioning, right? :)

Understood. It's just that my sanity-checker fires up when I see us
mapping structured data into comments.

Gary, who were you anticipating would use those comments, humans or
automatons?
My first concern is being able to understand/troubleshoot the data without having to lookup all those uuids. Comments would not be very friendly for machine parsing but we are only expecting Grouper to parse the file and it doesn't need the data here.

I would suggest that we go with comments for now and wait and see if anyone requests additional attributes / tags.

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing