grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Niels van Dijk <>, "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:02:21 -0500

Niels van Dijk wrote:
But my question is why would one want to still provide membership of a
group, after the ttl has expired? I can image I'd like to be able to
inform a user of the fact that his membership is about to be terminated,
but I also think that in that case the groupmembership itself should no
longer be provided by grouper at the moment the memebership ends.
Feature 12 touches this as well I think. The current description of both
items suggest to me that it may become the implementing parties role to
check if a membership or attribute is still 'valid'. I strongly feel
that is the task of the group membership system, as the group management
system and the implementing party may decide to implement a different
set of validation rules.

I think that only the private side of the grouper api (facing the database) would need to be modified to check ttl. The existing public api would still only present current memberships. Right Chris? Of course, there will be enhancements to the public api to enable clients to manage or monitor ttls and other attributes.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is a usecase in which group
related attribute enrichment or aggregation might take place, as is
currently possible in identity federations. If so, will/should this for
example be reflected in the attribute namespace discussion?

I also anticipate this and commented in email about it. Perhaps that should be reflected in the wiki page, amid the attribute namespace stuff that also needs to be added.