grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Niels van Dijk <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:14:24 -0400

> I've been going through the wiki page and was a bit confused on the
> 'time-to-live' usecase. Perhaps I've misunderstood, so please enlighten
> me if so. It might also be only a textual thing.

I added this to the wiki:

e.g. put an integer valued attribute on a group or a stem, which represents
the time in days to live for memberships in the group or groups. So when a
membership is added to a group, it immediately gets an expire date reflecting
that time to live. You could have a group used for a course which has a time
to live of 8 months... if the professor forgets to take someone out of it,
they will automatically have their membership disabled.

> But my question is why would one want to still provide membership of a
> group, after the ttl has expired? I can image I'd like to be able to

Oh, I didn't mean the group has a TTL, only the memberships inside. I guess
a group could also have a TTL and it would be deleted afterward... if someone
had a use for that :)

> Another thing I was wondering is if there is a usecase in which group
> related attribute enrichment or aggregation might take place, as is
> currently possible in identity federations. If so, will/should this for
> example be reflected in the attribute namespace discussion?

I'll say yes, but also I don't know what you mean, can you give me a detailed
example of this? :)