grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

  • From: Niels van Dijk <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 12:32:50 +0200

Hi Chris,

I've been going through the wiki page and was a bit confused on the
'time-to-live' usecase. Perhaps I've misunderstood, so please enlighten
me if so. It might also be only a textual thing.

But my question is why would one want to still provide membership of a
group, after the ttl has expired? I can image I'd like to be able to
inform a user of the fact that his membership is about to be terminated,
but I also think that in that case the groupmembership itself should no
longer be provided by grouper at the moment the memebership ends.
Feature 12 touches this as well I think. The current description of both
items suggest to me that it may become the implementing parties role to
check if a membership or attribute is still 'valid'. I strongly feel
that is the task of the group membership system, as the group management
system and the implementing party may decide to implement a different
set of validation rules.
I can image the use of a "group created at ddmmyy" and "a group member
since ddmmyy" or something like that by the way.

Another thing I was wondering is if there is a usecase in which group
related attribute enrichment or aggregation might take place, as is
currently possible in identity federations. If so, will/should this for
example be reflected in the attribute namespace discussion?

regards,
Niels