grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] grouper attribute framework
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:41:22 -0500

I'm wondering if we might want to support/encourage namespaces in attribute names.

(I think there's folks on this list with lots of experience with such things :-)

My rationale is that often a group is represented as a collection of attributes, whether it be for provisioning, auditing, or transmission across a wire, and it might be beneficial for a consumer to be able to determine attribute 'metadata' based on name, since a consumer might have access only to an attribute's name and value.

For example, an attribute describing a stem might be named "grouper:stemAttribute:name".

I don't think we need any special code, we should consider an attribute name to be a String, but in practice we should use a reasonably simple naming convention - which I hope others will have more experience suggesting.

TomZ