grouper-dev - RE: [grouper-dev] findByName

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

RE: [grouper-dev] findByName

  • From: Chris Hyzer <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>, Shilen Patel <>
  • Cc: Tom Zeller <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: RE: [grouper-dev] findByName
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:08:31 -0400

As Shilen said in a different email, the user can rename the group to
something, and name it back (thus setting the previous name). Allowing to
just set the previous name to an arbitrary name (that they have privileges in
the folder for), is just a shortcut so Grouper doesn't have to move all those
memberships around and back...

Therefore I don't think we need a restore-previous-name command, or a check
to see if it was a previous name, since there is a workaround, we are just
saving some time... also I don't think we need an admin only operation since
you don't have to be an admin to move a group and move it back, right?

The only thing that is weird for me, is if you can assign a previous name,
and it wasn't a true previous name, should we still call it "previous name".
Im ok with keeping it that way, it is just not precise...