grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: Tom Zeller <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] findByName
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 07:56:16 -0400

Based on what I was hearing in previous discussions, this didn't seem to be very important. Even though people might stop using the previous name, having it remain in the system might not do any harm. However, we can add the option to remove it if you think it would be useful. But there may be more to consider.

So say if somebody removes a previous name then realizes that it's still being used and so the user wants to add the previous name back. How does that get handled?

One way might be to always populate the previous_name column but also have another column (previous_name_searchable) that determines if the group can actually be found using the previous name. The new column can be turned on and off by admins of the group. But if our future method of doing multi-valued attributes won't be able to handle this, then we might need a separate table for this data after all.

Another way might be to let admins of a group add back previous names based on audit data if that information is easy to query. But everyone might not be using audit.

Perhaps we just give the user a warning saying that once you remove the previous name, you cannot add it back (unless you go directly into the database of course).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-- Shilen