grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

  • From: Shilen Patel <>
  • To: Chris Hyzer <>
  • Cc: Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] findByName
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:39:26 -0400

On Mar 18, 2009, at 3:32 PM, Chris Hyzer wrote:

Hey,

I know we decided what to do in the meeting, I think if we tweak it a little bit it will be more consistent...

When we say that GroupFinder.findByName() will work for current names or previous names, what we really mean, is that that underlying GroupDAO interface's method "findByName(name)" will find by names or previous names... and if that is the case, then there is one other method: GroupDAO.findAllByApproximateName() which should also work for names or previous names. I only mention because this method is exposed to WS through the group finder, and I think it would be weird for a FIND_BY_GROUP_NAME_EXACT (which uses findByName()) to work for previous names, and not FIND_BY_GROUP_NAME_APPROXIMATE... I assume this will not be hard to tweak the query...

That sounds good to me.

Again, we can add more finders in the group search WS and the GroupDAO for the previous names, current names, approximate previous names, approximate current name...

Btw, Shilen you mentioned group.foundByOldName()... if its ok can we make it a javabean property so it can be used by EL on the UI easier? i.e. group.isFoundByOldName(). Is that going to be hard to manage since it is a boolean field and the Group object might come from a cache somewhere or be cloned or something? We can scratch that since it seems like it might not always be accurate... I think the caller can figure out if it is found by name or old name by comparing the result with search criteria...

I was thinking that as well. I agree. Let's leave that off.

Thanks!

-- Shilen