grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] findByName

  • From: Tom Zeller <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc: Shilen Patel <>, Chris Hyzer <>, Grouper Dev <>
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] findByName
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:49:48 -0500

Unless of course it's to be a "true" alias capability, ie, not restricted to assigning names based on grouper's naming stems. That would amount to having a new flat namespace added to grouper, something I've carefully avoided from inception of the project. Should we revisit that ancient assumption?

I'm possibly very confused, so, thanks for bearing with me :)

At Memphis, we rely on our 'ancient' flat namespace assumption. Especially when provisioning groups to Active Directory, where the RDN (cn=All Students) must be both unique and human-likeable, since the RDN is used for all sorts of display purposes in third-party AD-aware applications.

We weren't able to use ldappc out-of-the-box, since ldappc uses 'id' or 'name' for the RDN, which would then mandate colons (cn=memphis:All Students) or a uuid (gasp), which would require us to rename our groups and modify every application, acl, etc. that references those group names !

I guess that's a use-case for namespace transition :)

So, for us, a flat namespace attribute, not necessary the grouper id or name, would be, how shall I say, congruent.

TomZ