grouper-dev - Re: integrating grouper 1.0 with signet 1.0.1

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: integrating grouper 1.0 with signet 1.0.1

  • From: "blair christensen." <>
  • To: Signet <>, grouper-dev <>
  • Subject: Re: integrating grouper 1.0 with signet 1.0.1
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:34:44 -0500
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=AE7ZFD6k+RAfOgj+J3goKgGJuTbZNIXJhijirdpba48GcQXS8APSwEQEc1+/sj+lq8QEZzd6FvP56VHJTkw2AXUou7BMqrV76R2U29dH2IPPzy6bO4Zi7EEl/wxOn1tdzCJYlgKodzynwXDzEfG65arxhz0sPWnub48vyyfERIc=

On 7/24/06, Dave Donnelly
Typically, on other projects I've been involved with, whenever there are
common 3rd-party libraries shared among subsystems and/or projects, a
Common project is established as a container for those libraries.
Dependent projects share the responsibility of maintaining Common. It is
left to dependent projects to determine how to integrate and deploy
their product. It actually alleviates some of the headaches associated
with deployment when Common can be distributed as a standalone product.

I just went through the HEAD `lib/README.txt` file for both Grouper
and Signet in order to see what we already have in common and what we
could possibly have in common.

Grouper and Signet currently have the following libraries in common.
I've also included the latest version available for each library.

USING LATEST
* cglib-full 2.0.2 2.2 beta 1
* commons-dbcp 1.2.1 1.2.1
* commons-logging 1.0.4 1.1
* commons-pool 1.2 1.3
* dom4j 1.4 1.6.1
* junit 3.8.1 4.1
* odmg 3.0 3.0

If there aren't objections, I think I'll create an *i2mi-common* (or
whatever it should be called) project in CVS that contains these
libraries and then switch Grouper over it. The question in my mind
would be whether to continue to use the versions of these libraries
that both projects are currently using or whether to try and upgrade.
I'm inclined to try and use the latest of each by default and then we
can back off if that is problematic for either Grouper or Signet.

Grouper and Signet are using different versions of the following libraries:

GROUPER SIGNET
commons-collections 3.1 2.1.1
commons-lang 2.0 1.0.1
ehcache 0.9 0.8
jta 1.0.1B ?

In **theory** these probably wouldn't be too much trouble to add to
*i2mi-common* as well.

And these are the libraries that are only used by one of the projects:

GROUPER SIGNET
ant 1.5.3
c3p0 0.8.4.5
commons-beanutils 1.6