grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:19:22 -0500

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:

--On 23 May 2005 10:01 -0500 Tom Barton

blair may need to add further details to my comments below. -Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:

I don't know if we will have time to get to this today - or how much of
the 453.6 grams remaining it would take up, but I have some questions
about the way that effective memberships appear to work in the API and
how we should deal with them in the UI:

1) The MemberVia class and grouper_membervia table keep track of the
chain of group memberships that 'caused' an effective membership.
Currently there is no public way in the API of obtaining this
information. Would it be possible to have a GrouperList.chain method
which returned the list of groups by which an effective membership came
into being? This info would probably be shown on a separate web page.

Ought to be possible. I can imagine this developing into an interesting
problem on how best to browse directed graphs. However, I'd like us to
resist going in that direction until we've solved another interesting
problem, and one we're on hook to do for v0.7-0.8: dealing with group
math.

GrouperList.chain does, as blair pointed out, already exist. I've attached 3 images which show how we could present the information

members.png->Effective member is no longer a link - but [test1] is and would link to the membership/privilege screen for [test1] with respect to [test2]

members1.png->As above, however, the mouse would be hovering over the 'membership chain' link (could be an icon).

chain.png ->result of clicking on 'membership chain' link. I haven't made the groups links - so no navigation issues yet.

Don't forget that there may be several different chains qualifying a given subject's effective membership in a given group. If you're trying to show the user how an effective membership status was achieved, you can't pick just one chain.

[Feel the slope getting slipperier...]