grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

  • From: "GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing" <>
  • To: Tom Barton <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:48:30 +0100

--On 26 May 2005 08:58 -0500 Tom Barton

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing wrote:
2)Similarly, a GrouperList.firstInChain method would allow me to
indicate in the UI which immediate membership of the current group
caused an effective membership.

_GrouperList.via()_ provides the first group in the via chain.

Confusion over direction! I was working from the 'working' group to the
immediate membership ultimately responsible for the effective membership
i.e. if groupA has groupB as a member has groupC as a member has subject
Z as a member I was interested in groupB->groupC

Algorithmically, it is more efficient to start with a subject and
determine all of its effective memberships than to start with a group and
recursively determine its effective members. The API manages effective
membership using the former approach. To best leverage what's already
there, perhaps what is needed is a method that takes the set of all
"upward" membership chains starting from a subject and prunes that set to
retain only those chains that terminate on a specified group. That
depicts the set of "reasons" why the subject has the effective membership
(or priv).
I see what you are getting at. Currently I think that the listVals method returns a Subject multiple times - one for each effective membership and once for an immediate membership. As the membership list returned is not sorted the same subject will generally not be grouped

Should such a method be in the UI or API?
I think that the listEffVals and listVals methods ought to return a Set - each subject only once. Rather than trying to provide links here to the effective group memberships separately, the subject would be a link which, when clicked, would resolve to either:
1) a summary page listing all ways in which the subject is a member of the group and probably some links to effect changes - but this could be quite difficult to explain to end users
2) the priv/membership screen as we do now - if a subject is a member once via an immediate membership

I think it ought to be straightforward to write a query against Grouper_List to return GrouperList objects for each occurrence of a subject as a member of a group - so this should be in the API. For each effective membership I would show the information on chain.png

e.g. can you revoke a privilege for an individual when it was granted
to a group?

You should not be able to. If you can it is a bug. You need to remove
the individual from the group that they are an immediate member of to
revoke the privilege.

I wasn't suggesting that this happened - just that anyone using the UI
would in effect try to do this. I think we need to make it clear, in the
UI, how a subject came to have a privilege/membership - atleast as a
prerequisite to modifying privileges/memberships. It is impossible to
know what to expect otherwise.

See above.

Tom

GW Brown, Information Systems and Computing