grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes

  • From: blair christensen <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Grouper design call, Wednesday, 18 May 2005, 1200EDT (1600Z), 60 minutes
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 09:45:57 -0700

On 2005.05.23 10:01, Tom Barton wrote:
> Ought to be possible. I can imagine this developing into an interesting
> problem on how best to browse directed graphs. However, I'd like us to
> resist going in that direction until we've solved another interesting
> problem, and one we're on hook to do for v0.7-0.8: dealing with group math.

Ought to be possible and is, as I'm aware, already implemented.

> I think GrouperList.via does that currently.

Correct. _GrouperList.via()_ returns the first group in the via chain.

> So perhaps what's needed is for the Grouper UI to have a priv
> management section of the group management workflow that's distinct
> from management of membership and other group attributes.

I think this is *probably* the right direction to head in. While the
default privilege interfaces use groups for managing priviles and are
very group-centric, not every implementation will be like that and
memberships and privileges are distinct items. The default
implementation may blur that idea, but...