grouper-dev - Re: [grouper-dev] Retrieving group subjects via the new Subject API

Subject: Grouper Developers Forum

Re: [grouper-dev] Retrieving group subjects via the new Subject API

  • From: Tom Barton <>
  • To: blair christensen <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [grouper-dev] Retrieving group subjects via the new Subject API
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:07:20 -0500

blair christensen wrote:
The Subject API provides three methods for retrieving subjects:

* getSubject(id)
* search(searchValue)
* searchByIdentifier(id)

The uuid that we assign to groups is an obvious candidate to use as the
id for retrieving groups. However, I suspect that the most typical
scenario, at least outside of the Grouper internals, will involve
retrieving groups-as-subject by the group name. As such, would it
make sense to have the Grouper source adapter attempt to retrieve
groups by both id and name? Internally this would be just a few
more lines of code and would certainly make the adapter more user
friendly.

Names are friendly to search on, but they can change and even be reassigned to different groups. If an app needs to store an identifier for a group, we should provide it with the guid.

Do the above search methods enable an app to search by group name and subsequently obtain the guid?

In addition, would we want to allow stems|namespaces to be used as
subjects as well? I would think not but if there is a viable reason
for doing so it would be easy enough to support them.

Probably not, but that reminds me of my interest in somehow having signet incorporate dynamically determined scoping hierarchies. Maybe an element of a scoping hierarchy can be a type of subject?