wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Sizing of Spring I2MM jabber server

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Sizing of Spring I2MM jabber server

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Sizing of Spring I2MM jabber server
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:50:41 -0700

Dr Rodney G. McDuff wrote:
Hi All
I've been thinking about the size of the jabber server to be used as a demo for the spring I2MM meeting. If the server was to just be
pushing xmpp packets across the network for a maximum of ~800 user then
my comment that a oldish laptop could handle it is probably true.
However I figure its going to be doing a lot more like:
* Serving either a JWChat application or a jeti application
* Running an shibbolized registration service
* Serving how-to documents
* Serving chat room logs
* various other services I haven't thought of.

Also if we are to allow file transfer then these streams may go thru a
XEP-65 bytestreaming service running on the box.
Plus the last thing you would want is to discover the machine is under
powered at the I2MM. So I think I'll retract the oldish laptop comment
and consider something a bit more grunty. Perhaps 1.5-2GHz processor
with atleast 1G memory. Perhaps a newish laptop then.

That seems reasonable.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre