wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

  • From: (Dennis Baron)
  • To: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 08:07:53 -0500

> It's important to put some thought into "smart federation". Different
> organizations deploy these technologies in different ways. We have a
> very open federation model on the open XMPP network, but we have also
> recently deployed an intermediate certification authority that issues
> free digitial certificates to server admins, which you folks are welcome
> to use (perhaps accept connections only from other entities that have
> certificates). Another model would be for Internet2 to run its own CA.
> Another model might be used in say the financial industry, where
> business level agreements would be hammered out in advance between
> companies that want to interoperate. But it seems to me that the old
> "we'll connect with anyone" model of email is simply unacceptable these
> days, and that organizations want to federate in a more intelligent
> fashion this time around (i.e., for real-time communication).

I think it would be great for the group to discuss this and recommend
a model (if you'd be willing to join that would be great!). I'm not
sure another CA is needed. (Which reminds me - I need to check w/JIS
to see why jis.mit.edu has a certificate but mit.edu doesn't :-) !)

I'm not sure we should abandon the "we'll connect with anyone" model
altogether. But I think organizations should authenticate any
communications that comes from them. And users should be able to
decide who can communicate with them, how, and when. But that's just
my model - I'm interested in others' thoughts. For cases like the
financial industry there may be a need for company control over who
can "talk" to whom - but I hope that universities will not find that
necessary.

WG - should we put this on the agenda for a Thursday call?

Dennis