wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • To: Dennis Baron <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:20:22 -0700
  • Jabber-id:

Dennis Baron wrote:

FWIW, XMPP has native federation, many rich presence extensions, and a robust publish-subscribe technology...

I agree that the federation is there - but I think we need decide if
we want to promote a common addressing scheme - ala. SIP.edu. It
seems like we should to me - but of course I'm biased - I'd be
interested if others think there are reasons not to.

It's important to put some thought into "smart federation". Different organizations deploy these technologies in different ways. We have a very open federation model on the open XMPP network, but we have also recently deployed an intermediate certification authority that issues free digitial certificates to server admins, which you folks are welcome to use (perhaps accept connections only from other entities that have certificates). Another model would be for Internet2 to run its own CA. Another model might be used in say the financial industry, where business level agreements would be hammered out in advance between companies that want to interoperate. But it seems to me that the old "we'll connect with anyone" model of email is simply unacceptable these days, and that organizations want to federate in a more intelligent fashion this time around (i.e., for real-time communication).

I find the focus on commercial vendors puzzling.

Well, in part this is keeping the Internet2 corporate members engaged.
But I think the larger goal is to have systems that interoperate and
provide expanded functionality across platforms - both server and
client. I think we should offer an open-source "package" or cookbook
that campuses can deploy. How much the group can build will depend on
the resources that we can muster. And for some campuses there are
advantages to being able to just "buy" a commercial package. Ideally
they should be able to take this route without loosing any
interoperability with other campuses. Similarly, users should be able
to choose open-source or commercial clients without loss.

Yes, and that's the beauty of open standards. :)

I think you're other comments were in response to the older "Features
List" - which I think was done before we decided to re-focus on
promoting XMPP-based deployment.

I think you're right. Perhaps I followed one link too many...

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
XMPP Standards Foundation