wg-pic - Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

Subject: Presence and IntComm WG

Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal

  • From: Peter Saint-Andre <>
  • To:
  • Cc: "Will, Rodger (R.)" <>, "Rork, Joseph (J.P.)" <>
  • Subject: Re: [wg-pic] Comments Requested: PIC Working Group Project Proposal
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:52:50 -0700
  • Jabber-id:

Will, Rodger (R.) wrote:
PIC Participants: Please review the following wiki page to learn about and comment on the proposal to create a project that will provide a software stack for presence and realtime communications based on the XMPP standard.

The documents seem more SIP/SIMPLE-centric to me. A few examples:

- "discuss techniques for adding rich presence (such as calendar and location tracking), federation, identity and privacy capabilities, and/or other standards-based protocols (such as SIMPLE) when feasible"

FWIW, XMPP has native federation, many rich presence extensions, and a robust publish-subscribe technology for delivering those extensions as defined at http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html (core spec) and http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0163.html (simplified "Personal Eventing Protocol" profile).

- "Presence updates via SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY for clients that don't implement PUBLISH"

FWIW, XMPP has only one way to do presence updates, via the <presence/> XML "stanza". See RFC 3921 for details.

- "Group chat, such as Message Session Relay Protocol"

FWIW, in XMPP we have a groupchat protocol called Multi-User Chat, which is stable (the core of it has been in use since 2000), widely implemented and deployed (e.g. it's the only group chat technology that has been approved by DISA for use in military applications), and does just about everything IRC does except with a stronger security model. See http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html for details.

Please provide any and all comments to the list. Thanks.

_https://wiki.internet2.edu/confluence/display/picwg/pic.edu+Draft+Proposal_

I find the focus on commercial vendors puzzling. There is so much open-source code that implements XMPP and its extensions that folks here could quite easily put together a complete suite of server(s), clients, and add-on components to do everything you want. Plus you could have students contributing code back to the relevant projects, enabling them to gain experience with the open-source community and enabling your organizations to improve those offerings. I don't know the state of open-source SIP/TURN/STUN/etc. implementations as well, but I do know that such code exists (e.g., the OpenSER server). Why pay some commercial vendor when you can build this stuff for free? Not that I'm opposed to commercial vendors, mind you, but it seems unnecessary here and contrary to the spirit of experimentation that our universities might want to foster.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
XMPP Standards Foundation