wg-multicast - Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

  • From: David Farmer <>
  • To:
  • Cc: David Farmer <>,
  • Subject: Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 09:43:46 -0600

On 1/4/13 08:56 , Bill Owens wrote:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 08:32:50AM -0600, David Farmer wrote:
NLR's leak hit us bad, we have R&E in our global route table and the
Commodity Internet in a VRF. NLR leaking 300K+ routes to us and into
our R&E table blew our TCAMs out. Weren't set of for 700K+ IPv4 routes,
we are not though. Implemented a plan reallocation of TCAM this morning
in the heat of battle.

We still haven't had a confirmation of where the leak originated, but I2
seems to be blaming NLR as well. . .

We've set a max prefix on NLR of 20K routes and will be doing the same
for I2 and all our other R&E peers in a future maintenance window

Us too; I hate to do that since max prefix is so heavy-handed. But losing the
I2 connections beats the hell out of having the entire network fall over!

Bill, the first leak was at 08:20UTC ish when were the other leak(s) you
saw, I'm trying to correlate stuff.

All of our backbone routers started complaining about TCAM at 08:21:46 or
:47, but we saw other log messages 10-20 seconds earlier that might have been
related: customer mBGP sessions dropping and PIM errors, which is what made
me think that this was multicast at first.

We don't graph BGP prefixes (yet!) but one of our members does, and I've
attached his graphs from this morning. That's the only evidence I have that
the leak happened twice; by the time of the second leak our routers were
already busy screaming at us about TCAM exhaustion and lost BGP sessions, so
it's difficult to tell from the logs.

Thanks for the graph

We had been planning to reallocated our TCAM to the following this morning.

>sh mls cef max
FIB TCAM maximum routes :
=======================
Current :-
-------
IPv4 + MPLS - 768k (default)
IPv6 - 120k
IP Multicast - 8k

That is accomplished with;

mls cef maximum-routes ipv6 120
mls cef maximum-routes ip-multicast 8

We did it that way because I wanted IPv4 and MPLS in a TCAM common pool. If you do;

mls cef maximum-routes ipv4 768

You get IPv4 and MPLS in separate pools. We hadn't implement the change before this morning mostly because we got busy doing other things, but was sure I really only wanted only 8k multicast routes, but we are only seeing a 1000 to 2000 multicast routes these days so it would probably be fine.

Later

David Farmer Email:

Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE Phone: 1-612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029 Cell: 1-612-812-9952