wg-multicast - Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

  • From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <>
  • To: Bill Owens <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 08:12:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013, Bill Owens wrote:

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 07:17:44AM -0500, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:

We've seen multiple outages between gigapops in Canada towards CANARIE,
apparently due to a routing table leak that triggered some folks' maximum
prefix settings on BGP peerings. But, maybe, that's a coincidence.

No, I don't think it was a coincidence - based on that lead I looked at the
BGP prefix graphs maintained by one of our member campuses and I see huge
jumps on both their NYSERNet connection and the direct NLR peering they
maintain. I think someone leaked about 328k routes, and in fact it looks as
though it happened twice (or a session reset and re-established).

Indeed:

206.130.255.13 4 6509 9008064 788188 0 0 0 04:47:00 Idle
(PfxCt)

Knowing CANARIE routes camp at around 14000 +- 1000, 20k seemed alright:

neighbor 206.130.255.13 maximum-prefix 20000

It's extremely disruptive to do this, but minimises multiple oscillations which can cause the router CPU to thrash about, which is more destructive on all the other BGP speaking-routers.

We don't have max-prefix set on our large external connections like I2 and NLR, but obviously we're going to have to do that. . .

I used to (since our gigapop is setup like an IX) use one router to do a hard shut and another just to warn. Now I have both doing a hard shut as the oscillations can get too rapid to be able to login to the router and catch the origin.

Interestingly enough, our MSDP peerings to CANARIE were unaffected, so at least mcast sources were stil being learned that way, not that it would have helped. :-)

wfms