wg-multicast - Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?

  • From: Bill Owens <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Serious network problems this AM - multicast related?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 07:05:34 -0500

NYSERNet's seen some very serious problems this morning, which seem like they
might be related to multicast, but we can't tell. We had issues a few weeks
ago that looked like they were limited to one router, since upgraded to a new
IOS version, but this time it's affected everything in our backbone and at
least some customer routers as well. I'm thinking that others were hit too -
Internet2 put out an outage message that lines up with our timestamp, 0821
UTC. Is anyone seeing symptoms, and (crossing my fingers) does anyone have a
root cause yet?

Bill.