wg-multicast - Re: ssmping issues

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: ssmping issues

  • From: Christian MacNevin <>
  • To: Stig Venaas <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: ssmping issues
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:20:56 -0800

Thanks a lot Stig and Mark - off for a few weeks so I'll check it all out when I get back.

On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Stig Venaas wrote:

Christian MacNevin wrote:
Hi Stig,
Somebody on the wg-multicast list mentioned that I had to pass the -4 flag to get it to work. I'm not used to thinking in ip6 terms,
so the [-46] bit of the command confused me i have to admit :S

ssmpingd doesn't take any arguments or flags though, so it doesn't do
anything. -4/-6 works with the client only.

Anyhow, it works now, but I'm still getting the following as it runs:
[rtv@lab26
~]$ ssmpingd -4
socket: Address family not supported by protocol
errno=97

OK. What happens here is that on RHEL4 the function call getaddrinfo()
returns IPv6 info even if there is no IPv6 support. ssmpingd tries to
create both IPv4 and IPv6 sockets. The IPv6 one fails, but ssmpingd
should still work fine. So just ignore the output.

This is the latest rpm i could find for RHEL4 something. I guess this is unfortunately only 0.81, so it might be beyond the scope you're
bothered with. Actually if you have any idea if anyone's planning to package 0.91, that'd be good to know, as mcfirst looks handy.

You can probably find some rpms around, but whether they work with RHEL4
I don't know.

If you want to try mcfirst, you may try to download the source code.
Hopefully it should be just a matter of typing "make". On Linux it
really should be.

Stig

Thanks for the help, and obviously the application!
Christian