wg-multicast - Re: ssmping issues

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: ssmping issues

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Christian MacNevin <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: ssmping issues
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:05:24 +0100

Christian MacNevin wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> So I'm trying to set up ssmping between a couple of hosts to test linux
> kernel compatibility, but when I attempt to
> run ssmpingd on either end, I'm getting an error message to the effect
> of 'address family not supported by the protocol."
>
> Hoping somebody's seen this one before? It's a RHEL4 release.

Haven't seen this before, but I'll try to help you out. Sounds like
something IPv6 related... I would need to know more details though.

o Which version of ssmping?
And from source or RPM or...

o Description of the problem
Is this only at startup or when you receive a query? Does it exit or
is the process still running?

o Output
It would be good to see exactly what the output is

I guess it could also be useful to know kernel version and whether you
have IPv6 configured (output of ifconfig -a might be of help).

Stig