wg-multicast - Re: Unerstanding customer requirements before deploying multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Unerstanding customer requirements before deploying multicast

  • From: Peter John Hill <>
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Unerstanding customer requirements before deploying multicast
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:07:28 -0800

On Nov 10, 2008, at 4:52 PM,

wrote:

Hello,

I would like to understand a customer's multicast deployment requirements.
What would be the queries I should pose to a customer to be able to understand
his/her requirements wrt to providing a multicast deployment.

I started writing out a whole bunch of info, but then remembered:
http://noc.net.internet2.edu/i2network/multicast-cookbook.html

Some questions you might have are if they need source specific multicast... if so you need igmpv3

Most networks will want pim sparse mode. Deploy an anycast RP. Use either static or auto-rp, or whatever you want...

do they need interdomain multicast? in other words, do they need to source or receive multicast from outside of their autonomous system? If so, you'll need to connect them up with address-family ipvX multicast with M-BGP.

good luck!

peter

Your hep is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,