wg-multicast - SSM support in Java [Re: OSX IGMPv3/SSM woes..]

Subject: All things related to multicast

SSM support in Java [Re: OSX IGMPv3/SSM woes..]

  • From: Simon Leinen <>
  • To: Stig Venaas <>
  • Cc: Greg Shepherd <>, Pekka Savola <>, wg-multicast <>, Tom Pusateri <>
  • Subject: SSM support in Java [Re: OSX IGMPv3/SSM woes..]
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 02:59:08 +0100

Stig Venaas writes:
> I'm a bit annoyed that there still is no SSM support in Java (at least
> from SUN). Some of us have requested this years ago...

> I would for instance have liked to have a GUI version of ssmping on
> Windows (not just the command line one). ssmping written in Java would
> have been nice, if Java supported SSM.

According to

http://bugs.sun.com/view_bug.do;jsessionid=70afcb213c8795d4c8b77a9d4175?bug_id=4527345

Sun has finally fixed this in "jdk7 build 36".
(Took them less than 7 years :-)

Here's the documentation on the source-specific join() method:

http://download.java.net/jdk7/docs/api/java/nio/channels/MulticastChannel.html#join(java.net.InetAddress,%20java.net.NetworkInterface,%20java.net.InetAddress)

JDK 7 snapshots are available here (build 39 is current):

http://download.java.net/jdk7/binaries/
--
Simon.

> As an aside, I think it would be a nice student project to implement
> a GUI ssmping on Windows (maybe some other multicast debugging stuff
> as well). I'm happy to discuss further or help out if anyone is
> interested. I'm just not familiar with the Windows GUI programming
> part...

  • Re: OSX IGMPv3/SSM woes.., Stig Venaas, 11/07/2008
    • SSM support in Java [Re: OSX IGMPv3/SSM woes..], Simon Leinen, 11/16/2008