wg-multicast - Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem

  • From: Yuri Kolomiyets <>
  • To: Marshall Eubanks <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:46:47 -0400

Marshall Eubanks wrote:
Is the receiver behind the Cisco and the source behind the HP ?

Receiver is behind HP, Source is behind Cisco.

60 seconds is the default PIM Period between Join/Prune Messages (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc4601.html - section 4.11). It sounds from the discription below that the HP is doing the right thing (what it is told to do).

I'm not sure HP is doing the right thing. It's sending PIM updates, but i dont think that Prune list in the HP update is correct.

Is the CISCO running IGMP v2 ?

They are both running IGMP v2 and PIM v2. But in our production network this occurs 3-4 hops up from the receiver, so i don't think IGMP is an issue.

Can you get a better dump of the IGMP traffic. Is it possible that IGMP traffic is not being done correctly - for example, that the VLANs are an NBMA network ? That will cause false time outs.

I'll set up a sniff and get some IGMP traffic dumps. HP doesn't have much for debugging tools, and IGMP wise Cisco is not showing anything.

Have you tried the test with 2 Ciscos and then with 2 HPs ?

Have not tried 2 ciscos, but 2 HPs work OK.

--
Yuri Kolomiyets

Network Services
Information Systems & Technology