wg-multicast - Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem

  • From: Yuri Kolomiyets <>
  • To: Pekka Savola <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: HP to Cisco PIM problem
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 11:43:00 -0400

Pekka Savola wrote:

HP is sending the Cisco an (S,G, rpt) prune i.e. "I don't want that to receive back from RP the transmission from sources that we already see directly" -- and Cisco as a consequence deletes the state.

The next PIM join however has S-bit (shortest path tree set).

That's exactly what I was thinking. Seems like HP tries to switch from RP tree to SP tree. The only problem is that RP tree and SP tree are the same since traffic goes through RP because of topology, not because tree is built that way. So somehow HP can't understand it and keeps trying to switch over and over again.

Does the Cisco have (S,G,spt) state active towards HP when HP sends the prune?
Yes, Cisco is in the SP State.

What about the HP (I'm not sure if it's possible to get this much detail from it though)? If not, maybe HP sending the RPT-prune and SPT-join in a wrong order, i.e., it should send the SPT join first.
Unfortunately there's no info like that that I can get from HP. The only configuration there is is SPT switch enable or disable. If I disable switching to SPT, stream stops working at all.

--
Yuri Kolomiyets

Network Services
Information Systems & Technology