wg-multicast - Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required

  • From: Gary Parker <>
  • To: Ross Finlayson <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:18:03 +0100

On 16 Jun 2007, at 00:24, Ross Finlayson wrote:

I suggest just using your modified version of "testMP3Streamer", because - from what I can tell - it does exactly what you are looking for; I don't really understand why that wasn't OK for you (unless you are looking for support for IPv6 multicast, which we don't do yet).

Thanks very much to everyone who replied on- and off-list wrt to this one. I've got a much happier system now, to sum up:

- esd and esdrec both need to be run as root to successfully capture system audio
- As Nick Humfrey pointed out, MP3 doesn't cope too well with packet loss so I switched to layer II instead
- I couldn't get toolame to compile properly under OS X/Xcode so switched to twolame
- twolame in MacPorts doesn't handle stdin/stdout properly I downloaded from sourceforge and did my own compile and it worked fine
- Ross' assertion that the testMP3Streamer code should be fine turned out to be spot-on with the move the MP2

After all that, it turns out that my target client (Inuk's "Freewire Television" client on Windows, part of the Freewire IPTV service currently running on JANET in the UK) will accept AAC so I'll probably be able to use Quicktime Broadcaster after all! Still, this has been a very useful learning exercise :)

Gary