wg-multicast - Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required

  • From: Jeroen Massar <>
  • To: Gary Parker <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Simple Streaming Tool Required
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 11:37:21 +0100

Gary Parker wrote:
> Morning all, I'm looking for a very simple command-line tool that will
> take an MP3 audio stream on stdin (from lame, for example) and send this
> out to a specified group address, port and with specified TTL. Oh, and I
> don't want to use VLC.

Why not VLC? It is one of the best tools around. Note that one also has
vls which is the console part which is daemon only

> So far the closest thing I've found is the
> testMP3Streamer app from the Live555 source code hacked to accept input
> from stdin rather than a file but this is rudimentary, to say the least,
> with no buffering.

First thing you can look at is Shout2rtp:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/Programs/Shout2rtp/
Which can, as far as I recall, also stream from files directly.
I have an IPv6 version of it if you need it.

<spam />
http://unfix.org/projects/radio/

IPv6 only though in most part, but you can transform this easily to IPv4
without to much problems. Code should be pretty structured, allowing you
to hack away things (like sql support) which you might not need.

Buffering should be handled in the client IMHO. Or do you mean buffering
while reading the file from stdin?

Greets,
Jeroen