wg-multicast - Re: PIM on Checkpoing Firewall?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: PIM on Checkpoing Firewall?

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Tim Chown <>
  • Cc: "Sanchez, Juan (District)" <>,
  • Subject: Re: PIM on Checkpoing Firewall?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 16:31:20 +0100

Tim Chown wrote:
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 10:00:08AM -0500, Sanchez, Juan (District) wrote:

We have multicast working on CheckPoint, after months of pain. The
biggest issue that we have is that it will not work of an active-active
cluster. We are using PIM-SM with Nortel in the inside and Cisco in the
border.
Our solution was to install a third firewall just for multicast, any
subnet that requires multicast is sent to this firewall. Not an ideal
solution, but the best we could come up with. We are running NGX(R61).

This is where we're headed for PIM-SSM and for IPv6 multicast (well, it's
where we're at now, but we'd hoped to converge it...)

Is a firewall for multicast really needed? Would it be bad to just let
all multicast UDP packets to high ports through?

Stig

Tim