wg-multicast - a Netscreen firewall question

Subject: All things related to multicast

a Netscreen firewall question

  • From: debbie fligor <>
  • To: wg-multicast List <>
  • Cc: debbie fligor <>
  • Subject: a Netscreen firewall question
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:35:54 -0600

We're trying to switch from using a mulitcast bypass around our firewalls to sending the multicast traffic through them. No, we don't feel like it needs to go through the firewalls, but the new core routers we got have a frustrating feature where if you use any static mroutes, it can't populate the rest of the multicast routing table with the unicast routing table, so a default mroute to the bypass requires us to hand configure every subnet with an mroute in every core router, which is really annoying (to put it mildly). Apparently changing this on the routers is not possible so we would like our multicast default to match the unicast default route, which goes through the firewalls.

we built it in our lab, and got it working with a single path on slightly newer code, but when we tried to do it for real in our dual path exit (firewalls in active-active) existing multicast connections stayed working but new connections wouldn't come up. We're going to have the switch vendor come in to help us debug the problem, but if anyone has known issues or ideas we'd love to hear them.

The firewalls are netscreen 5200's, the RPs are ciscos and the L2 and L3 switches are all Foundry. All ideas are appreciated (and yes, for our next bid static mroutes working together with dynamic routing protocols to update the mcast routing table will be a requirement).

-----
-debbie
Debbie Fligor, n9dn Network Engineer, CITES, Univ. of Il
email:

<http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/fligor>
"Every keystroke can be monitored. And the computers never forget."