wg-multicast - Re: MC monitoring...

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MC monitoring...

  • From:
  • To:
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: MC monitoring...
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:38:53 -0500

The only problem with all of these things is that its not an end to end,
with the exception of possibly NAM. ( Not too familiar with that tool)
Unfortunately our core is not cisco... nor do our internal switches
support any kind of netflow... (Nortel 8600's have a limited feature set)

I think I may have to write something... just go around the edge and check
the switches to see which groups they have joined sucessfully. That
should not be a bad start for the time being.

Thanks
Anand

"William F. Maton Sotomayor"
<>

03/29/2006 02:14 PM
Please respond to

wg-multicast
<>
cc

Subject
Re: MC monitoring...

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006,

wrote:

> All,
> We have been looking at all sorts of tools to help us monitor
> Multicasting traffic on our network. I was wondering what is everyone
> else using??
>
> Almost every thing on the web is a bit stale...

You are right, most things 'out there' are stale, and seem to be dated
from the heyday when multicast was a brand new shiney protocol running via

tunnels and over Suns....

We internally are using Cisco NAM's for our tiny fleet of 6500's to
obtain a glance at traffic across the core, and Dave Plonka's flowscan
tools to get a generalized view of multicast traffic totals.

I also have some home-brewed/adapted tools, such as an SDR viewer and MBGP

route table monitor and doo-dads of a sort. [*] They're a bit dated as I
need to include mcast IPv6 and such....

Of course, it all boils down to exactly what you are looking for which
would lead you to the right tool for the job.

wfms

[*]

http://ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca/bgp-mcast/bgp-all.html
http://ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca/x-bin/mroutes.pl