wg-multicast - Re: MC monitoring...

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: MC monitoring...

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To:
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: MC monitoring...
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:21:30 +0200

William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006,

wrote:

All,
We have been looking at all sorts of tools to help us monitor
Multicasting traffic on our network. I was wondering what is everyone
else using??

Almost every thing on the web is a bit stale...

One common tool is of course the multicast beacons. There are several ones to choose from. The most commonly used is perhaps the NLANR one, see http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Beacon/

A new beacon implementation which is promising, is also dbeacon, see http://dbeacon.innerghost.net/

Stig

You are right, most things 'out there' are stale, and seem to be dated from the heyday when multicast was a brand new shiney protocol running via tunnels and over Suns....

We internally are using Cisco NAM's for our tiny fleet of 6500's to obtain a glance at traffic across the core, and Dave Plonka's flowscan tools to get a generalized view of multicast traffic totals.

I also have some home-brewed/adapted tools, such as an SDR viewer and MBGP route table monitor and doo-dads of a sort. [*] They're a bit dated as I need to include mcast IPv6 and such....

Of course, it all boils down to exactly what you are looking for which would lead you to the right tool for the job.

wfms

[*]

http://ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca/bgp-mcast/bgp-all.html
http://ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca/x-bin/mroutes.pl