wg-multicast - Re: Notes from BOF

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Notes from BOF

  • From: Greg Wickham <>
  • To: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Notes from BOF
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:17:44 +1100

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:40 +0100, Stig Venaas wrote:
> Alan Crosswell wrote:
> [...]
> > Priorities:
> >
> > 1. Looking glasses in gigapops, campuses w/multicast commands
> > 2. tool to walk looking glasses/snmp proxies
> > 3. install ssmpingd on Abilene measurement boxes
> > 4. bwctl support for iperf multicast.
>
> Not so sure about the order here. IMO 2 is very interesting, but also
> the most difficult of the above, and won't happen any time soon. It's
> more something to wish for. This is something I'm interested in looking
> into though.

I'm interested in #2 too. It'd be nice to see an RPC-XML framework
developed that would be used to communicate with a central looking glass
for each domain.

The jewel would be having the XML replies provide router specific
multicast information in addition to giving hints about next hops at
inter-domain boundaries. That way 'chaining' of looking glasses would be
transparent to the diagnostician.

Anyone interested in collaborating on this? (Or does it already exist
and I just don't know ....).

-Greg

--
Dr. Greg Wickham GrangeNet Network Operations Manager
Phone: +61 2 6222 3552 GrangeNet

Yaralumla ACT 2600