wg-multicast - RE: Notes from BOF

Subject: All things related to multicast

RE: Notes from BOF

  • From: "Roberts, Michael J. (IATS)" <>
  • To: "Charles Spurgeon" <>, "John Kristoff" <>
  • Cc: <>
  • Subject: RE: Notes from BOF
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:10:37 -0600

I can verify this was a problem for Nortel 8600 non-E revision cards.
It would spike the CPU to 100%, and anything (OSPF) that relied on the
CPU would fall apart. This was fixed by Nortel in the E blades several
years ago.

We ran into an interesting problem on our campus where someone was using
a multicast group suggested by a software vendor. It turned out this
multicast group fell within a reserved range that automatically forced
the CPU to process the packet, and not the ASIC on the phy blade. You
may want to check out the group that is being used and make sure there
is nothing unique about the address that the Supervisor engine is
flagging for CPU processing.

-mike