wg-multicast - Re: Notes from BOF

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Notes from BOF

  • From: Stig Venaas <>
  • To: Alan Crosswell <>
  • Cc: wg-multicast <>
  • Subject: Re: Notes from BOF
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:40:08 +0100

Alan Crosswell wrote:
[...]
Priorities:

1. Looking glasses in gigapops, campuses w/multicast commands
2. tool to walk looking glasses/snmp proxies
3. install ssmpingd on Abilene measurement boxes
4. bwctl support for iperf multicast.

Not so sure about the order here. IMO 2 is very interesting, but also the most difficult of the above, and won't happen any time soon. It's more something to wish for. This is something I'm interested in looking into though.

Bill O made some good comments about describing what kind of service people can expect from multicast, maybe writing something on that should be on the list too? This could be combined with some measurements to see what is realistic. I think Bill was far too pessimistic though, I think even with MSDP it should be just a few seconds, when working as it should. It would be good to do more measurements and try to investigate places where this is not as good as expected. I have some ideas for how these measurements could be done regularly with a mesh of asmping clients and servers. The beacon does not give any info on setup time.

Stig