wg-multicast - Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?

  • From: "Jonathan S. Thyer JSTHYER" <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:37:34 -0400

Ok folks,

So I have my MSDP all up and running, and my regional WAN provider will happily peer.   But, what's in it for my campus?

Especially given the idea that traffic can be quickly flooded into my network through an MSDP storm, or perhaps a malware can be introduced that forces client machines to "join" a group for fun.    I gotta be honest, I am a little gun shy here....

Someone hurry up and finish that killer app, ok!

-------
Joff Thyer
Senior Networks Engineer/Architect
IT Networks Department