wg-multicast - Re: Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?

  • From: Dave Devereaux-Weber <>
  • To: "Jonathan S. Thyer JSTHYER" <>,
  • Subject: Re: Give me a killer app. that says I should expose my campus to the multicast wide area?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:50:47 -0500

Joff,

Here in MAdison, we've been multicast-open for several years, and we haven't seen an MSDP storm or malware that exploits multicast.

When trying to describe compelling reasons to enable multicast, the term "killer app" is limited and doesn't describe the benefits in positive terms.

As our local campus network is improved, and more users are able to view multicast video, we will promote the use of multicast video over the network to a greater degree. At present, we have a local system we call the Digital Academic Television Network <http://datn.wisc.edu/>. Because of contract agreement restrictions, we use locally-scoped multicast addresses which do not get routed. But the idea of watching video on a computer is catching on pretty smoothly. We run statistics on the system, and they can be seen at <http://datn.wisc.edu/statistics>.

There are several benefits of the convergence of voice and data. The university does not have the cost of maintaining multiple networks. The cost of construction, maintenance, repair, spare parts, test equipment and training for cable television networks will gradually go away. The cost of procuring and operating television sets, videotape recorders, and videotape collections (for training purposes) will gradually go away.

When video converges with data, it will not be necessary to upgrade televisions to digital and/or high definition when broadcasting changes over from analog to digital.

When multicast becomes more widely available, we will be able to watch video from other universities around the world, and from other institutions, like the BBC in the UK or ABC in Australia, or TV5 from France, NHK from Japan, and so on.

A couple of weeks ago, we watched live, high-definition multicast video from the Pacific Ocean in the Visions05 program <http://www.visions05.washington.edu/> from the University of Washington. The ability to see live undersea video in high definition was pretty compelling.

Dave

Jonathan S. Thyer JSTHYER wrote:

Ok folks,

So I have my MSDP all up and running, and my regional WAN provider will happily peer. But, what's in it for my campus?

Especially given the idea that traffic can be quickly flooded into my network through an MSDP storm, or perhaps a malware can be introduced that forces client machines to "join" a group for fun. I gotta be honest, I am a little gun shy here....

Someone hurry up and finish that killer app, ok!

-------
Joff Thyer
Senior Networks Engineer/Architect
IT Networks Department