wg-multicast - Re: Load balancer

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Load balancer

  • From: Dan Pritts <>
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Load balancer
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:11:54 -0500

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:36:21AM -0500, Charles R. Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 11:20:37AM -0500, Jay Young wrote:
> > One of our groups on campus is using a real media server to stream media
> > across campus, they have it setup to use multicast as well. They are
> > wanting to setup a load balancer in front of multiple servers.
>
> Why load balance multicast? No matter how many clients, you still
> have only one stream transmitted from the server...

I would imagine that they want to load-balance the servers to
support unicast clients - and don't want to set up a separate server
infrastructure just for multicast.

I don't know enough about how real server handles multicast but one
thing i would look for is the possibility that different clients will
request multicast when connected to different servers, and each server
will then send its own multicast stream, probably with entertaining (but
not desirable) results. Ideally your load balancer will know enough
about the realserver protocol to redirect all multicast requests to a
designated multicast source.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office 734/834-7224 mobile