wg-multicast - Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast

  • From: Brent Sweeny <>
  • To: Bill Owens <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Inter-domain IPv6 multicast
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:30:59 -0500

This April note from Bill (plus some clarifications from Dino) seems
to have been the clearest explanation of the nature and status of
embedded-RP.

current ietf version is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-embeddedrp-07.txt
(expires Jan 2005)

In today's JET meeting, the folks from DREN expressed some interest
in the NREN efforts to move forward with wider deployment of inter-
domain v6 multicast and are asking what they should tell the vendors.
Is something like this, and urging them to commit (and show on their
roadmaps) it? I'd like to come up with a good statement on why
this is good, why it's the standard direction accepted by at least
the R&E networking community as much as represented here, and at most
the technical multicast and v6 people who understand the issues.
(and if it's NOT those things, what is?)
thanks/ Brent