wg-multicast - Re: 1 % packet loss

Subject: All things related to multicast

Re: 1 % packet loss

  • From: Bruce Curtis <>
  • To: "Marshall Eubanks" <>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: 1 % packet loss
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 15:34:37 -0500

On Wednesday, July 28, 2004, at 11:02 PM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:00:12 -0500
Bruce Curtis

I didn't notice it much until I tried watching the music video but
I'm seeing a fairly constant 1 % packet loss on the music video,
AmericaFreeTV SciFi, Comedy , classics etc when viewing with Quicktime.

(I have added the WG on this.)

Do you still see this ? Could you set up a beacon on nodak.edu for

http://beacon.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ ?

I see that lbl.gov consistently and uic.edu sometimes reports large loss
from here, but most other sites seem clean.

Marshall

Still seeing this, QuickTime reports between 1% and 2% packet loss, still see loss with rtpqual.

I have a machine in my office on the beacon now, netmenderx.cc.ndsu.nodak.edu.

Looking at the beacon I see that ssb-vaiodesk.nts.umn.edu consistently is showing a loss of 5 from hendrix.multicasttech.com. My i2 feed does come from the Northern Lights GigaPOP at the University of Minnesota so perhaps that is related. The University of Minnesota folks are busy with a campus network upgrade but they can look into this in a couple of weeks.

I don't see the loss from Mulitcast sites on i2 so perhaps it is an
Level 3 problem or the point where the multicast flow is crossing from
Level 3 to i2.

---
Bruce Curtis

Certified NetAnalyst II 701-231-8527
North Dakota State University

---
Bruce Curtis

Certified NetAnalyst II 701-231-8527
North Dakota State University

  • Re: 1 % packet loss, Bruce Curtis, 08/03/2004